Bit Better Book Club ๐ŸŽ‰

Weeks 51 and 52: Snow Crash โ„๏ธ

Welcome to Weeks 51 and 52. Time to read:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Just 34 pages (or 73 minutes for an audiobook) a day to finish it in 2 weeks :raised_hands:

This is the last assignment for this year. Have you enjoyed the ride so far?

1 Like

One of my favourite books from my favourite SciFi author ever. Will have no time to read this again, but happy reading for everyone else. Note: Donโ€™t take the book too seriously. Itโ€™s a bit of a satire of Cyberpunk tropes.

I think Stephensons weakers books are REAMDE and the recent one, which plays in the same universe. His best one is either Anathem or Seveneves.

1 Like

A bit late, but the physical copy is finally arriving tomorrow! Excited to read this.

Did you manage to read it? If so, how did you like it?

Unfortunately, this was the only one that I missed from the last yearโ€™s assignments but I still intend to get to it :slight_smile:

I LOLโ€™d twice in the first five pages but overall it wasnโ€™t a great sci-fi for me. Maybe because I have read Ready Player One and The Gamer before!

Wow, interesting. I read and enjoyed RPO as well, mainly because Iโ€™m 100% the target audience of that book, but when you look at it closely, the book just falls apart (search some 2 or 3 star reviews on Goodreads). Itโ€™s a pretty badly written story with huge plot holes and flat characters.

Iโ€™d say that Snow Crash is a lot more imaginative than RPO. Havenโ€™t heard about The Gamer, will check it out :slight_smile:

So what I meant to say was that when I read RPO, it was my first in this genre and the concept of wearing a headset and going into a virtual world was very appealing to me. Whereas when I read Snow Crash, it didnโ€™t feel novel and I was inadvertently comparing the concept to RPO. Basically Iโ€™d have enjoyed Snow Crash a lot better had I not read RPO before, if that makes sense. :sweat_smile:

Better late than never, aye?

Just finishing this one and I have to say I love it. Thereโ€™s just the right amount of interesting ideas and humor to make for a perfect blend. A bit of old, a bit of new, carefully mixed.

To make it even more interesting Iโ€™ve been reading it alongside โ€œWho Owns the Future?โ€ and I was appalled at how similar some of the scenarios were in both.

Enjoyable read, definitely!