Bit Better Book Club 🎉

Weeks 47 and 48: Getting Things Done ✔️

Welcome to Weeks 47 and 48. Time to read:

Getting Things Done by David Allen

Just 25 pages (or 45 minutes for an audiobook) a day to finish it in 2 weeks :raised_hands:

I will try to join this one.

I have been hugely into GTD about 12 years ago and at the time, my mind was blown, I felt super super productive. I don’t know what happened, but eventually live got too stressful and it all ended up just being one more Checklist that only kept growing, until I started ignoring it. Back then I used “Remember The Milk” as an app to guide my process, and I bet even to this day this is probably the best tool out there.

A few weeks ago I had some weird motivational push and thought it would be cool to get back into GTD, so I bought the Todoist app and even bought a PDF that describes how to setup Todoist for GTD. I don’t think I would recommend that PDF to anyone, you can find free tutorial blog posts online that describe pretty much the same. I would say, though, that you really need the pro features of Todoist to implement GTD properly, so that might be money worth spending.

Even with the blog posts and PDFs, I find myself not being disciplined enough, so right now, my Todoist list is once again just a checklist that keeps growing all the time and it doesn’t really guide me through my days, yet. That’s why I want to read the book again :slight_smile:

Interesting!

I’ve been a Remember the Milk user for around twelve years as well. Recently, I switched to Asana which seems nicer to me and allows easier collaboration.

Bear in mind I’ve never tried GTD, so don’t take it as an endorsement :slight_smile:

I’m using Todoist as well. I’m curious to know which pro features do you feel are needed for GTD?

Started thinking about how to capture context better in Asana during reading this book.

I came across these two threads:

One of the things this book highlights is the importance of having a “next action” defined along the task.

At our yesterday meeting, @olo2552 mentioned his list of “things to buy and do to set up a standing desk”. When he finally decided it’s time to start this project it took him half an hour to complete all the necessary purchases.

I’ve now realised I’ve done something similar with gift giving. I hate shopping for gifts just before some important date, so I’ve put a box on a shelf and each time I see something that may end up as a gift to someone I buy it and put it in that box. This way whenever Christmas time comes (for example), I can empty that box and wrap the gifts without the need to actually go shopping.

1 Like