Bit Better Book Club ๐ŸŽ‰

Weeks 45 and 46: Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness ๐Ÿ˜

Welcome to Weeks 45 and 46. Time to read:

Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Richard H. Thaler & Cass. R. Sunstein

Just 23 pages (or 49 minutes for an audiobook) a day to finish it in 2 weeks :raised_hands:

Phew! I completed a book within the schedule after a long time. :slightly_smiling_face:
The next books are Getting Things Done and Deep Learning, right?
We should probably have a poll up for the last book of the year as well.

Getting Things Done is next. As for the Deep Learning thereโ€™s been some discussion that it might not be the best choice.

As for the final book Iโ€™d suggest going with โ€œSnow Crashโ€. Unlike everything else itโ€™s fiction so should be a fine book to end a year with.

What do you think?

Iโ€™m not too keen on fiction in the spirit of the startup-related books weโ€™ve been reading all year. Same goes for Deep Learning but Iโ€™m okay with exploring a new topic. Iโ€™d vote for Shoe Dog (Nikeโ€™s story; recommended by many of my friends) and The Hard Thing about Hard things. Letโ€™s put up one final poll of the year? Others can recommend books as well.

Sure, we can do another poll shortly, but I guess weโ€™ll need a bit more recommendations to make it.

@Belczu, @allgreed, @mbrochh, @basiaaz, @Hanne, @pawellcome, will you add anything to the list?

Oh, BTW: the new old website should launch tomorrow so weโ€™ll once again have access to all of the original recommendatinos (and some new ones as well)

And regarding the topic of the book, it made me very stressed. Stressed that I donโ€™t save enough money, stressed that I spend too much, stressed that I donโ€™t invest as much as I should, stressed that I am mostly oblivious about my health and life insurance.

If itโ€™s supposed to be a call to action, I guess they got pretty accurately. Though at this moment Iโ€™m rather paralyzed than keen to act.

What are your observations, @swap?

Been too busy to keep up with the books in this club, but would love to join again in 2020. In the context of this club, I would probably suggest these two books from my to-read list:

1. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41181911-super-thinking
  2. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24915480-hello-startup-a-programmer-s-guide-to-building-products-technologies

I second the โ€œHello, Startupโ€ nomination!

I would even go as far as to ask the author about his list of recommended reads as I know he reads quite a lot.

My key takeaway was the power of defaults. Iโ€™m keen to know more about the life of a choice architect!