Bit Better Book Club πŸŽ‰

Weeks 45 and 46: Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness 🐘

Welcome to Weeks 45 and 46. Time to read:

Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Richard H. Thaler & Cass. R. Sunstein

Just 23 pages (or 49 minutes for an audiobook) a day to finish it in 2 weeks :raised_hands:

Phew! I completed a book within the schedule after a long time. :slightly_smiling_face:
The next books are Getting Things Done and Deep Learning, right?
We should probably have a poll up for the last book of the year as well.

Getting Things Done is next. As for the Deep Learning there’s been some discussion that it might not be the best choice.

As for the final book I’d suggest going with β€œSnow Crash”. Unlike everything else it’s fiction so should be a fine book to end a year with.

What do you think?

I’m not too keen on fiction in the spirit of the startup-related books we’ve been reading all year. Same goes for Deep Learning but I’m okay with exploring a new topic. I’d vote for Shoe Dog (Nike’s story; recommended by many of my friends) and The Hard Thing about Hard things. Let’s put up one final poll of the year? Others can recommend books as well.

Sure, we can do another poll shortly, but I guess we’ll need a bit more recommendations to make it.

@Belczu, @allgreed, @mbrochh, @basiaaz, @Hanne, @pawellcome, will you add anything to the list?

Oh, BTW: the new old website should launch tomorrow so we’ll once again have access to all of the original recommendatinos (and some new ones as well)

And regarding the topic of the book, it made me very stressed. Stressed that I don’t save enough money, stressed that I spend too much, stressed that I don’t invest as much as I should, stressed that I am mostly oblivious about my health and life insurance.

If it’s supposed to be a call to action, I guess they got pretty accurately. Though at this moment I’m rather paralyzed than keen to act.

What are your observations, @swap?

Been too busy to keep up with the books in this club, but would love to join again in 2020. In the context of this club, I would probably suggest these two books from my to-read list:

1. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41181911-super-thinking
  2. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24915480-hello-startup-a-programmer-s-guide-to-building-products-technologies

I second the β€œHello, Startup” nomination!

I would even go as far as to ask the author about his list of recommended reads as I know he reads quite a lot.

My key takeaway was the power of defaults. I’m keen to know more about the life of a choice architect!