Bit Better Book Club ๐ŸŽ‰

Weeks 41 and 42: Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life ๐Ÿ‘…

Welcome to Weeks 41 and 42. Time to read:

Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life by Marshall B. Rosenberg

Just 19 pages (or 22 minutes) a day to finish it in 2 weeks :raised_hands:

1 Like

I seem to be having a streak of audiobooks that are not necessarily what they lose to be. This happened to me with โ€œFlowโ€ and now I finished an audiobook on Non-violent Communication that Iโ€™m not sure was the actual book. Will have to check the ebook version to confirm.

Anyway, the ideas and methods presented appeal to me. I immediately saw how some of my conversations go the wrong way, simply because of exploring the ways to solve the conflict, both parties start defending their positions. Iโ€™ll be glad to try the methods in my next hard conversation!

Just completed this book; great read! :raised_hands:

@swap I was just about to write the same post. Finished it a few minutes ago and I really loved it :slight_smile:

1 Like

What did you love about it? Whatโ€™s one piece of knowledge from the book you find particularly insightful?

For me, it was that anger is never caused by someone else but itโ€™s a manifestation of your own needs. I really found this quite impactful. Overall, the book contained a lot of examples in a simple language. Iโ€™d rate it #2 among all the books we read this year, just after the Mom test. What about you guys? What were your takeaways?

2 Likes

Iโ€™m a bit split between the worlds. I finished the audio versions of both this and Flow, which were in fact different to the books. So Iโ€™m reading โ€œFlowโ€ and โ€œHappiness Hypothesisโ€ at the moment and I plan to catch up on Non-Violent Communication later on. The audio version, though, was pretty good in itself!

Also, itโ€™s interesting that you consider โ€œthe Mom Testโ€ to be the number one. I naturally assumed โ€œSapiensโ€ will take the place as is the case with most people I talked with (sometimes โ€œThinking Fast and Slowโ€ gets mentioned as well)

1 Like

So I left 3 books midway this year and Sapiens, Thinking Fast and Slow are two of them. The content was undoubtedly good but it got repetitive later or the language wasnโ€™t effortless to read, basically it couldโ€™ve been structured better.
For me personally, the Mom test and NVC have a reread value for me, because itโ€™s so to the point w/o any jargon with practical examples that I can use straight away.

1 Like

I just finished a book about NVC called CNV in France in the field of parenting/education/social neurosciences. This concept has been created by Bergson but today, it improves the practice of meditation and well-being , also the fact to rise kids with a hyge energy / crisis etcโ€ฆThe concept created by Bergson is going to transform the neurosciences to social neurosciences.