Bit Better Book Club ๐ŸŽ‰

Week 5 and 6: Shoe Dog ๐Ÿ‘Ÿ

Time to read:

โ€œShoe Dogโ€ by Phil Knight

Memoirs can serve as great inspiration. After all, we can learn a lot from people who built successful businesses. Whether you love Nike for its quality or hate it for its aggressive branding, itโ€™s hard to say the company hasnโ€™t been successful. Letโ€™s see if the lessons learned in the '60ties are still applicable nowadays!

Just 29 pages (or 57 minutes for an audiobook) a day to finish it in 2 weeks :raised_hands:

1 Like

Iโ€™m almost finishing this one and I really like it! Thanks, @swap for suggesting this to us!

Before reading the book I treated Nike as an uninteresting company. Maybe even slightly evil as they introduced the aggressive branding arms race. The book shows everyday struggles related to building a company over many years. Their journey shows that, actually, the obstacle is the way.

That said, the literary style is at times overly poetic. I donโ€™t treat it as an accusation, though it contrasts a bit with the down-to-earth picture that the narration builds.

All in all, a great read!

1 Like

This quote is lovely:

Thereโ€™s a Book Club section at the end of the book as well with suggested topics and questions. Second time I see it :smiley:

Another thing I love about the book is how it references that girls education is an important factor in raising countryโ€™s living standards. Thatโ€™s the same message weโ€™ve seen in โ€œFactfulnessโ€.

Just finished this! Loved the candid account of everyday struggles. Itโ€™s motivating to see someoneโ€™s behind-the-scenes (while the system tends to focus only on the highlight-reel!) and I wish more people share their stories.

1 Like

Thanks for recommending this book, I was never much into business and even saw Nike as a not very helpful corporation for mankind. But I did enjoy the story of a manโ€™s search for a worthwhile pursuit in his life and overcoming all the setbacks and curveballs coming his way.
There were great anecdotes on famous coaches and runners, something that I particularly enjoyed and the struggle of combining a passion with raising two children. Furthermore, I enjoyed his description of his nightly phone calls with his dad, that is something that I could do more often and discuss things that trouble us.

2 Likes