Bit Better Book Club 🎉

Week 5 and 6: Shoe Dog 👟

Time to read:

Shoe Dog” by Phil Knight

Memoirs can serve as great inspiration. After all, we can learn a lot from people who built successful businesses. Whether you love Nike for its quality or hate it for its aggressive branding, it’s hard to say the company hasn’t been successful. Let’s see if the lessons learned in the '60ties are still applicable nowadays!

Just 29 pages (or 57 minutes for an audiobook) a day to finish it in 2 weeks :raised_hands:

1 Like

I’m almost finishing this one and I really like it! Thanks, @swap for suggesting this to us!

Before reading the book I treated Nike as an uninteresting company. Maybe even slightly evil as they introduced the aggressive branding arms race. The book shows everyday struggles related to building a company over many years. Their journey shows that, actually, the obstacle is the way.

That said, the literary style is at times overly poetic. I don’t treat it as an accusation, though it contrasts a bit with the down-to-earth picture that the narration builds.

All in all, a great read!

1 Like

This quote is lovely:

There’s a Book Club section at the end of the book as well with suggested topics and questions. Second time I see it :smiley:

Another thing I love about the book is how it references that girls education is an important factor in raising country’s living standards. That’s the same message we’ve seen in “Factfulness”.

Just finished this! Loved the candid account of everyday struggles. It’s motivating to see someone’s behind-the-scenes (while the system tends to focus only on the highlight-reel!) and I wish more people share their stories.

1 Like