Bit Better Book Club πŸŽ‰

Weeks 15 and 16: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance πŸ”§

Welcome to weeks 15 and 16!

Time to read:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M Pirsig

This year so far we’ve learned how to build a strong character, focus on the things we have control over, and how friendliness helps us win over people.

The current book should teach us how to live an authentic life guided by values.

Just 39 pages a day to finish it in 2 weeks :raised_hands:

I have a problem with this book. I’ve read it over last summer and I really loved the theme of the experience of the motorcycle journey being shared by the father and his son.
On the other hand, the philosophical content was presented in a really annoying way (at least for me). Maybe the issue here is that I don’t have much background in these topics and I couldn’t fully understand it, but this book was a really huge disappointment for me.

What exactly did annoy you? I’m not halfway yet so my experience may not be full. So far, though, I’m quite enjoying it!

Just finished it (took ~3 weeks). I agree with this review. It was a very heavy read for me.
Maybe because it’s a weird mix of fiction and non-fiction. Or maybe because I’m simply not ready for philosophy yet.

I got into philosophy after reading β€œAntifragile” some two years ago. Also, I know that @Belczu had a different story of getting into philosophy so whenever we have a book club meeting we prefer to favor different approaches to philosophy. It makes for a nice discussion :slight_smile:

1 Like